Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Few "Wow" Moments, and Other Randomness

Well, I guess its about that time again. I'm way overdue for a post, but lately I just have not felt like blogging. I'm not sure why. Anyway, instead of trying to do a big catch-up-for-the-last-three-months super post, I would just like to point out some of the highlights...

First, Meet Silas:
Silas is a Mini Daschund that I got from a family here in Snowflake. I'm not usually much of an animal person, but I fell in love, and my dad thought it would be good for me to have something to nurture and care for-- so he bought him for me. I'm so spoiled.

Second, Etsy:
I have finally opened an etsy shop! I've been busy this summer sewing and making jewelry and such, had no success selling it at boutiques or the local Farmer's Market, and am hoping that exposure to a larger market will prove profitable. Anyway, if you want to check it out, its: artfulepicurean.etsy.com If you like it, tell your friends!! A few "Wow" moments:
* A few weeks ago, Angela and I were substituting my mom's Sunbeam class. The sharing time lesson that day was about Joseph of Egypt, and the teacher asked for a bunch of boys to come up and act it out. When it came to the part where Joseph and his brothers are herding sheep (right before Joseph is thrown into the pit) the teacher whispered to the boys to act like they were herding sheep... well, thanks to decades of Americans exercising poor elocution of the english language, the boys thought she said start "hurting" sheep, and they all began to punch and kick the air as if they were beating the poor sheep to death! The poor lady was so confused, and Angela and I just laughed and laughed.

* I have taken to calling Trinity "Little Miss Chatterbox" on occasion, because I don't think I've ever met a four-year-old who had more to say than she does. Don't get me wrong-- I love talking to Trin. She is so intelligent and has such a large vocabulary, that I often forget she is only four. Yesterday, I was working on a project, and she contented herself with chatting about anything and everything she could think of. I would reply every now and then with a short sentence or two, and she would go right on talking. At one point, in her little sing-song voice, she said "I just like to go blah, blah, blah, all day long!" To which I replied, "Why is that? Why do you like to talk so much?"
She responded, "I just NEED to talk!" and paused a moment before saying, "I think Heavenly Father needs to hear my voice."
I couldn't come up with a better explaination if I tried.
* Ever since I got Silas, I've seen a lot more sunrises (a puppy's bladder waits for no one...). I love the Arizona sky, and feel like every sunrise and sunset I get to watch is a blessing. In those still, quiet moments of the morning time stops. It gives me a chance to realize all of the beautiful little things I've been taking for granted, and I can start to put things back into perspective. Unfortunately, I usually go back to bed after the "buisness" is done, and those feelings disolve into my pillow. But I am grateful even for those small moments of reflection and peace.
*Eliana-- Need I say More??

* My last "Wow" moment is from my grandma. I know what you're thinking (well... those of you who don't know her) and she is not your typical apron-wearing, cookie-baking, smells-like-a-rose-garden, silver-haired grandmother-- she is as feisty and sassy as they come, with a biting sarcasm and cynicism that (to her frustration) only makes her more endearing. I absolutely love my grandma, and wouldn't trade her for anything.
A couple weeks ago we had lunch with her, and she was so entertaining! Out of the blue she started talking about how she wasn't going to blow-dry her hair anymore, because she's pretty sure she's cooking her head when she does. Now, this could very well be one of those "had to be there" moments, but I'm pretty sure Tay will get a laugh out of it... I know I laughed so hard that I got written out of her will. She then went on to talk about "loofah soap" and how she believes that it acutally works(!), and scrubs off all her dead skin. I responded to her that, yes, that is the whole point of using an exfoliator, to which she excitedly replied that loofahs could be like the new weightloss thing-- because you can scrub off 10 pounds of dead skin every time you shower. I'm pretty sure my horrified expression and the little "eww!" that escaped me absolutely made her day.

Okay, well... thats it for now. I thought I had more to write, but the writing bug is just not there for me lately. I love you all! Don't give up on me-- I'll still try to keep you "posted" from time to time. Ha ha. Bad? Okay... I'm done.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Silas is so cute! You're making me want to get a puppy! Are you going to be able to take him to Provo with you?

Megs said...

Sister Hamilton!

From reading this post, it looks like life is giving you many moments to look back on and smile! You deserve it.

I think your creative venues are perfect for etsy. I will have to spread the word :)

travis pitcher said...

cool cool cool. that is what you are. glad to see you finally posted something.

Angela* said...

Glad you shared the "wow" moments! The girls have had so much fun with their auntie this summer. :*

Noelley Belly said...

Yea!!! Sounds like fun. I'll be checking out your Etsy site soon...when it's not 12 am. I am excited to see you- and hopefully 'your little dog' too! Love ya.

Tecia said...

Kalli- something about the way you write makes me happy inside. I love to read. I love your posts. And always want more. I need to go and help your needy Aunt, please know I love you and enjoyed spending time with you a bit this summer. I'm glad you were home!

beau.shaunalee said...

Kalli, did you know that out of 22 years of friendship and hearing about your grandma this is the first time I have ever seen her? Ya know, it's nice to put a face behind it all. Also, Silas is so cute--where did you come up with that name? Miss George Eliot? just curious. I miss the sunsets! Are you back in Provo? Sorry for the randomness, I just got back online (after one long 'unplugged' month). LOVE YOU TONS!