Friday, March 27, 2009

I know, I know...

"Hmm, I wonder when Kalli will post again?"
"Probably never. I'm pretty sure she fell off the face of the earth."
"Yeah, that sounds about right."

Wow. Lately life has felt like it is flying by at a break-neck speed, and its all I can do to keep up. Not that its bad; on the contrary, I feel like things are going quite well in spite of all the demands on my time and sanity. School is keeping me very busy, but I'm loving the things I am learning, and the more I learn the more excited I get and want to share it with everyone around me. Ironically, the class I'm having the most trouble with is my pottery class, and thats just because I'm a perfectionist and it takes me ten hours to make something that I'll actually be satisfied with. I've been spending a lot of time trying to get caught up, but have taken a break the past few days due to my having dropped the teapot I was nearly finished with on Tuesday. I will start fresh on Monday.


Okay, I guess that is the (lame) update of how the last week has been. The preceeding weeks were a bit less frustrating, and far more adventurous.

  • I went to Las Vegas for work the last week in February. Our company was chosen to cater a large event for other caterers at a large convention at the Hilton. Unfortunately, I don't really have any pictures of my experiences, because we were working the entire time. We pulled some long hours (one was a 17 hr day without a break!!) and I felt completely broken and worn down by the end, but it was such a great learning experience and the event turned out fantastic! I really should try to get some pictures; it was the kind of party you always see in "chick flicks" but don't think that people ever have in real life. Anyway, I'm so glad I went, but I'm also glad it is over. As a result of being over-worked and under-slept, I ended up with a cold that I'm pretty sure turned into brochitis. But I'm better now.

  • The week after the Vegas trip, we didn't have any work (things have been slow, off and on) so I decided to skip a day of school and drive home for the weekend. I must say that I felt pretty proud of myself for making the trip alone... I almost feel like an adult now. While I was home I got to see Matti perform in the SHS production of "Oklahoma". Of course, she was one of the cutest ones on the stage. I also got to spend some quality time with my best little buddies, Trinity and Eliana, and the rest of my family as well. I am so grateful for my family, and I realize more and more all the time that they truly are my best friends. I had fun spending time with Tatton and Rachel, shopping with Dad :), going to the "White Chair" with mom and getting spoiled, having lunch at a new little tea shop with the whole family, and getting some much needed r&r. There are pictures below for your viewing pleasure. Ps: If there seems to be a shortage of pictures of Eliana, that is because she never holds still!

  • My journey back to Utah was, for the most part, uneventful. I maintained my sanity thanks to Shannon Hale and Audible.com, by listening to an audio book to pass the time ( the book is titled "Book of a Thousand Days", and I HIGHLY recommend it). I was making good time and was certain that I would get home early enough to write a two-page paper that was due the next day, when suddenly-- about 45 minutes from Provo-- I turned a corner and found that the sunny spring day directly behind me was mirrored by a raging blizzard in front of me. I bravely forged through the whiteness for about ten miles, using the "braille" bumps in the middle and edge of the road to know where I was going. I literally could not see the hood of my car, and just when the snow was freezing solidly to my windshield in spite of the defrost being on High, and just when I was pretty sure my hyperventilation was going to turn into a seizure, I spotted a tiny little gas station on the side of the road. I quickly pulled over and tried to start breathing again while I waited out the storm. An hour later, nothing had changed, and it was getting dark. I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be spending the night in my car, which is exactly what I did-- despite the protests of my dad, roommates, and others who did not think it was safe, and who believed I would freeze to death. However, I was pretty sure if I tried to venture out again, I would drive to death; so I opted for freezing. Really, I wasn't worried at all, I had my huge down comforter with me (which was such a blessing) and I kind of thought it would be fun. At least more fun than sliding off the side of a canyon road. I was perfectly warm, perfectly safe (there was a highway patrolman there for most of the night, stopping cars without 4-wheel drive/chains) and in the morning I woke up and drove home on the freshly fallen (and melting) snow. All in all, I quite liked that I had such an adventure, though I don't wish to repeat the experience any time soon. I am just very grateful that I was safe, and had the things I needed to stay alive.

Other than my adventures, I've just been busy with work, school, and other responsibilities. Things are going well, and I am excited for spring! I always feel like, when spring comes, I am thawing out and coming back to life, just like the world around me.

Who knows, maybe my blog will come out of hibernation as well...Blowing bubbles with Papa

3 comments:

Angela* said...

some of the pictures of me are hidious! The girls are, as always, completely adorable! :) I love you and we're all excited (especially Trin) for you to come in May!
p.s. Trinity agrees with me that you should spend the summer here;)

Karen said...

I think my favorite picture is of you snuggled in your blanket, I think you slept better that night than I did! I love you! keep blogging, and I am sorry about the death of your teapot.

Summer said...

Wow, it sounds like you've been extra busy. Congratulations on your big job in Vegas--I wish you had pictures too. I was just reading your "About Me" blurb, and realized that I never knew what it was you were planning on using your degrees for. I think a personal-chef-dietitian combo would be a great career! Good for you for going after your dreams.