Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fakesgiving, Rainy Days, and Cauliflower Soup

The very first Fakesgiving
Ah, Fakesgiving, the most wonderful time of the year. A time for fabulous food, wonderful friends, and family not-togetherness. A time to pause and reflect on fakesgivings past. A time to look within yourself and discover what it is you're truly fakesful for.

Fakesgiving, not to be confused with the American holiday Thanksgiving, was first established in the fall of 2007, and is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of September (although it is perfectly acceptable to procrastinate and celebrate it a couple weeks late if you wish). It's founders, Quinn and Pam Heiner, may receive due credit for it's conception; however, it must be said that Fakesgiving is what is is today because of the perfection in which it has been celebrated by its co-founders (we deserve that title right?) Kalli Hamilton and Eli McCann. It was they who laid down the historic traditions that would guide Fakesgiving celebrations for years to come. Some of the requirements for Fakesgiving include having green leaves on the table, eating really ridiculously good food--which includes any kind of poultry but turkey-- and expressing throughout the course of the meal the things which you are most fakesful for. The only other rule associated with Fakesgiving is that you can make things up as you go, and just about anything can become an instant Fakesgiving tradition.

Now that you know what Fakesgiving is, I must say that this year's celebration of the holiday was the best ever! (And there have been two of them, so thats saying something...) I have been wanting to cook duck lately, and was able to acquire some through my work (ah, connections...) and it was fantastic! Other menu items consisted of super-creamy mashed potatoes (Eli mashed 'em), stuffing, corn, candied green beans, candied yams, rolls, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin cheesecake, and a side of sarcasm. I'm so fakesful we didn't overeat...


A modern not-family celebrating Fakesgiving


*****
On a different note...

I love the fall! Sometimes I try not to love it too much, because I hate the icy, depressing, deadness of the winter that will shortly follow, but I just can't help enjoying the changing of the seasons and the crisp freshness of the air and the spicy scents that permeate my little apartment as the roommates and I take turns stewing and baking all things fall-ish.

I have spent the last week laboriously trying to catch up on my math homework, which fell by the wayside as I was working overtime the two weeks previous. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty stir-crazy by the end of it, and it was nice to have time to rejuvenate a little after my test yesterday. It was drizzling pleasantly, so I went for a little walk and snapped some pictures. I love the way everything looks when it rains. All the colors seem intensified and more vivid. That, combined with the earthy taste of the air and the soothing pitter-patter of steadily falling raindrops, has got to be the perfect cure for stress. I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father gives us days and moments like that; it cleanses the mind and the soul as well as the world around us. Often when it rains I feel a renewed desire to find balance in my life, to start fresh and even to grow. I don't think its a coincidence that I feel this way-- I am sure that Heavenly Father speaks to us through the day to day things that we often take for granted. If we simply pause for a moment and listen, we can hear and feel him gently guiding us and putting things back into their proper perspective. I don't think I'm quite there yet, so perhaps I will have to take another walk tomorrow...
****
Lastly, I thought you all might like to try this Cauliflower Soup I made the other day. I was experimenting, so I haven't really tweaked the recipe yet, but you are welcome to adjust it to your liking. Enjoy!
Cauliflower Soup
Half of a white or yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2 leeks, chopped
One head of cauliflower, chopped
Olive oil or butter
Chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth (it is very important to use a stock or broth with low or no sodium because it will cook down and intensify in flavor. If there is already a lot of sodium in the broth, when it cooks down that flavor will increase and make the soup too salty.)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 to 1 cup half and half or milk
Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil or butter in a large pan. Add all of the vegetables and "sweat" them over moderate heat ("sweating" involves cooking the vegetables over a moderate-to-low heat to extract the flavors from them. Heat should be low enough so that it begins to cook the veggies without putting any caramelization/color on them. The best way to tell if the vegetables have "sweated" enough is when the onions become translucent. Usually putting a lid on the pan helps speed this process, but remember to stir occasionally so that you don't caramelize). When the vegetables have sweated, add enough stock to cover them (you can add a little water too if your vegetables are bigger and will take longer to cook). Simmer until the vegetables are fully cooked and tender. At this point you can let the soup cool for a while, or put it right into the blender... just be careful, because if the soup is extremely hot, the steam will escape from the blender by blowing off the lid... I unfortunately know this from recent experience... Anyway, blend until completely smooth, and return to pan. Add milk and slowly stir in the cheese over low heat, so that it doesn't curdle. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add more cheese if wanted. Enjoy!!

6 comments:

Summer said...

Wow, Fakesgiving sounds like fun! Your pictures remind me of the TV show "Friends"--I always wanted to have a Thanksgiving like they had every year! I love, love, love cauliflower but never do anything with it besides steam it, so I'm definitely going to try your soup. By the way, I recently tried duck (just a couple bites) for the first time with David and it WAS good (I don't know why that surprised me, but it did). Ours was fried into nuggets and came with blueberry dipping sauce.. Anyway, I hope autumn hangs around for as long as possible in Provo!

Bekah: said...

Thank you so much for the recipe. I adore soup. I always make an initatory pot each fall and can't ever seem to stop after that. I think I've already made half a dozen different soups. I can't wait to try this. I was going to post my new favorite (pear/leek) this week. I so wish we lived close by and could cook and bake together. I would love to learn from you.

fakesgiving sounds hilariously divine. what wonderful friends you have. they are all so lucky to have you! seriously who else would bring a perfectly roasted( i assume) duck?! you are incredible!

keep posting, i love it!

ELI said...

I'm fakesful Fakesgiving is over:(.

On a side note, the duck was incredible. I think we made big steps in the cooking this year; and that's saying something because last year was really good too.

When's Fakesmas?

Angela* said...

Perhaps if you make duck at a time when I am present, I would try it!
I am getting SOOOO excited to see you in a couple-- Trin also, of course! I'll bet Trin tries to make you jump on her bed with her! LoL

Karen said...

I think there may be something fraudulent about fakesgiving... it just doesn't ring true with me.

I have been enjoying fall too, and the bounty of my garden, I wonder if Heavenly Father gives us the first hard frost so we look forward to winter and not canning any more ;o}

The picture were beautiful as well as your thoughts, they both reflect the person who wrote them.

just a little bit mo said...

Hey! I found your blog through Meg's blog. Fakesgiving sounds amazing . . . my roommates will love it!