Thursday, September 4, 2008

Can someone just tattoo "SINGLE" across my forehead?

This isn't about me. Let me explain.

After nearly two months of trying to sell my car with no success, I decided tonight to try a new venue and post an ad on Craigslist. I've never used craigslist before, but I know a few people who have bought furniture and other items from the sight, so I thought it was worth a try. After I successfully completed my ad and published it to the site, I found myself back on the homepage. So, like any responsible college student who is really good at finding ways to procrastinate her math homework, I browsed. The list of items for sell was, for the most part, typical; couches, bicycles, cars, musical instruments, etc. But, to my astonishment (and fascination) there was a section devoted to "personals" aka, "women seeking men", "men seeking women", and some other "seeking" topics that I'd rather not discuss. I was shocked that a (somewhat ghetto) classifieds site like that would offer a dating service; my intrigue got the better of me and I clicked on "men seeking women". I was even more amazed when I discovered that people actually post ads on that thing. Everyday! It was like a match.com or eharmony commercial gone seriously wrong. Yes, curiosity did drive me further, and I clicked on a few of them and read their little sales-pitches. But don't worry, thats as far as it went (although I was seriously tempted to reply to one idiot who had the nerve to post that he wanted a clean cut girl with standards or class--apparently you don't have to have both to make the cut-- and that he wanted a picture or you might as well not reply at all. But for some reason the only picture he had posted of himself was actually a picture of...Reese's Pieces??!!! Yeah... I'm not quite sure why he thought that would encourage any girl with standards or class to feverishly log in to her hotmail account and send him the best "full body shot" she could find. And yes, I do think he probably looks like Kip Dynamite).


So, needless to say, it was an interesting and very entertaining ten minutes of my life. I laughed at some, felt truly sorry for others, and mostly thanked heaven that I am not that desperate. And if I ever do get to that point... just don't be jealous because I've been online chatting with dudes all day.

Peace out.

7 comments:

Summer said...

Thanks for making me laugh! I agree that Craig's List is a rather ghetto venue for match-making.. I really like your blog's new look!

Krishelle said...

I would totally date Reese's Pieces...was that Craig's List? I'll have to check it out....

YUCK!

Kalli said...

Here is the infamous link... if anyone wants to check it out ;)

http://provo.craigslist.org/m4w/817802620.html

Karen said...

I wonder if reese's pieces is the same guy who emailed about the car...

Angela* said...

haha that's pretty clasic. I'll bet "reese's pieces" has numbchuck skills!

Snowflake Lobos 2001 said...

Hey! Check out this new blog! Leave some comments or suggestions and get re-connected with friends!

meg said...

too funny. i've seen that link on craig's list as well, but i've never followed my curiosity (not that i'm looking).